Monday, October 6, 2008

Thank God for iPod!

Picture it: It is 8:15 in the morning and yours truly is cheerfully joining the millions of bridge and tunnel commuters on their way to work in Manhattan. To those who aren't blessed enough to be riding the 7 train daily, let me assure you don't know what you're missing! Come on, who would not want the suspense of not knowing if you are going to make it to work in a timely matter, whether or not you will be pushed and knocked out but the millions of people scrambling to be packed into the train like rats in the cage?

On this particular Monday morning, I was manifesting a seat on the crowded train. My legs were tired, my eyes groggy and was totally not in the mood to deal with people. Usually, I take the LIRR to avoid the morning drama, but that has dampened my pockets, so I figured I was humble enough to ride the subway to save some money.

As the train doors opened, I assertively pushed my way through the vultures and to my astonishment, I thought, "Look a seat!" I moved quickly and embraced this rare occurrence of finding a seat. As I was about to sit down, an older women from the Orient ran and stole my seat!! Just as my butt was ready to make a safe landing on that cold, hard seat!

OMG!! "This just not did not happen!" I thought. I felt the fury and rage boil up from my feet and I began to implode! As I was about to maliciously rip her head off, I thought, "It is only a seat Erika." Those five words were my salvation, but being the outspoken Erika that I am, I yelled, "Are you kidding me? Really? Are YOU kidding ME?!??" She grunted and barely was able to say, "I sorry" with a content grin on her face. I was so pissed that I ran to another car.

I put on my iPod and found the most soulful song that I could sing (inside my head) that would rid myself of the fury, and negative thoughts so I could still find some joy in my day. Mary J Blige! Real love! ::Singing:: "Real Love, I'mmmmmmmmmmm searching for that Reall love!"

Of course, having the most ironic luck, I was interupted of my meditative state by the most horrific smell of curry armpits. I turned my head, there it he was! The bastard who dare enter a crowded train, with no air, and no deordorant!! I had to stand for forty five minutes with my head in my scarf. But I was singing Mary the whole time.

So with that said, I am thankful for that day, for it taught me to find humor in the day, and to not let a rude Chinese woman or an Bohemian Indian man who reaked of curry and of no deodorant to ruin my day. Most of all, I am thankful to God and of course, my salvation, the iPod.

1 comment:

LadeeDi said...

Lmfaooo I am so happy you have a blog now